Overview of the ruins in Cagsawa Source: Eva Recto

Preliminary Results Of Archaeological Investigation In Cagsawa Ruins In Albay, Philippines: Sacred Spaces Archaeology

Angel Sarmiento Recto, Evangelina Ramos Recto, Reynaldo Ramos Avellana

Abstract


The Cagsawa Ruins is a popular name of the former Franciscan missionary complex which was demolished and rebuilt – particularly the church and convent – in 1724 by Fray Francisco Blanco, OFM, to make it bigger and stronger. The place was devastated by a violent volcanic eruption on 1 February 1814, when thousands of people in the nearby towns of Camalig, Daraga and Budiao were killed by pyroclastic flows and lahar. Since the 1814 eruption of Mount Mayon, the Cagsawa Ruins have been left undisturbed. No archaeological activities had been made in the area. The entire plan and blueprint of the Franciscan missionary complex remained unknown to many after the devastating eruption of Mayon. Some parts of the stone structures are still visible, while others are submerged. This paper will share the preliminary results of archaeological investigation at the Cagsawa Ruins.


Keywords


Cagsawa Ruins, Alcantarine Franciscans, missionary complex, Albay, Sacred Spaces Archaeology

Full Text:

PDF


DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.26721/spafajournal.v2i0.158

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Copyright (c) 2018 SEAMEO SPAFA and Author

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Copyright SEAMEO SPAFA and respective authors.  e-ISSN 2586-8721 p-ISSN 1858-4101. Powered by Open Journal Systems.